Hickensians Favourite Music of 2013
2013 was definitely the year of the Besnard Lakes for me…
Before the year ends, I’ve just got time to publish my favourite tunes of 2013!
As this is a Spotify Playlist, it lacks a few artists, namely Atoms for Peace, Burial, Bill Callahan and the latest self-titled EP from Phantogram (the latter of which is still bizarrely not available in this country!). Without doubt, this was the year that I discovered The Besnard Lakes and fell in love with them!
Also, usual rule applies: most on the list was released this year, but not all.
To sum up, my top ten favourite albums this year were:
- The Besnard Lakes: “Until in Excess, Imperceptible UFO”
- The Besnard Lakes: “The Besnard Lakes are the Roaring Night”
- Christina Vantzou: “No 1”
- Steve Mason: “Monkey Minds in the Devils Time”
- Atoms for Peace: “AMOK”
- Phantogram: “Phantogram EP”
- Midlake: “Antiphon”
- Teen Daze: “The Inner Mansions”
- Hammock: “Oblivion Hymns”
- Anna Calvi: “One Breath”
Strangely, albums by SPC ECO and The National don’t appear this year - there were good songs on both new albums, but the album as a whole didn’t grab me.
Finally, it was sad to see to news today that Benjamin Curtis of School of Seven Bells (a regular on my end of year lists) has died after a year long battle against cancer. He was only 35.