John Bryan Hicks (1932–2021) was an architect, photographer, railway enthusiast and most importantly my Dad. Bryan is a free, single-weight open type font, a faithful digital recreation of his distinctive handwriting.
If you use and enjoy this font, please consider donating to Parkinsons UK in his memory. You can read more about Dad and the creation of the font in the Journal.
Type something here
I've mostly concentrated on adding characters that I've found examples of in my Dads' handwriting, so you may find some crucial glyph missing. Let me know if you have a need for a particular glyph, and I might add it in the future.
- Added a 'proper' uppercase Q, based a recently discovered source
- Added 'Br' and full 'Bryan' signature ligatures
- Added uppercase ẞ, and stylistic alternate for ß without the bar
- Moved the SS ligature to a discretionary ligature
- Added all numerals (precomposed fractions, fraction components, old style figures, superior & inferior numerals)
- Added Yen, generic currency, paragraph, section, dagger, double dagger, copyright, trademark and registered glyphs
- Added stylistic alternatives for lowercase T and Z
- Fixed discretionary ligature for superscript 's
- Many tweaks to glyph's appearance spacing and weight, including a new version of ß
Added Western, Central and South European glyphs (Diacritics & characters such as sharp-s ß)
Tweaks to lowercase P
- Use this font freely in commercial work without attribution or payment. Credit is always nice, but I know it's not always feasible
- Embed the font in websites and applications.
- Let me know how you use it! Please, I'd love to see where this font travels.
You may not redistribute, charge for or modify this font in any way.