John Bryan Hicks (1932–2021) was an architect, photographer, railway enthusiast and most importantly my Dad. Bryan is a free, single-weight open type font, a faithful digital recreation of his distinctive handwriting.
- 512 glyphs, including all European diacritics
- Ligatures and Stylistic Alternates are used to allow for more natural variations in letter shapes
- Available in both .otf and .woff(2) formats
Type something here
Discretionary Ligatures & Stylistic Alternates
2,3 or 4 hyphens
Punctuation & Symbols
I've mostly concentrated on adding characters that I've found examples of in my Dads' handwriting, so you may find some crucial glyph missing. Let me know if you have a need for a particular glyph, and I might add it in the future.
- Added a 'proper' uppercase Q, based a recently discovered source
- Added 'Br' and full 'Bryan' signature ligatures
- Added uppercase ẞ, and stylistic alternate for ß without the bar
- Moved the SS ligature to a discretionary ligature
- Added all numerals (precomposed fractions, fraction components, old style figures, superior & inferior numerals)
- Added Yen, generic currency, paragraph, section, dagger, double dagger, copyright, trademark and registered glyphs
- Added stylistic alternatives for lowercase T and Z
- Fixed discretionary ligature for superscript 's
- Many tweaks to glyph's appearance spacing and weight, including a new version of ß
Added Western, Central and South European glyphs (Diacritics & characters such as sharp-s ß)
Tweaks to lowercase P
- Use this font freely in commercial work without attribution or payment. Credit is always nice, but I know it's not always feasible
- Embed the font in websites and applications.
- Let me know how you use it! Please, I'd love to see where this font travels.
You may not redistribute, charge for or modify this font in any way.